Sunday, March 7, 2010

Welcome to the Site!

So my wife Amy deemed me the "Urban Beer Gardener" and I thought it would be fun to blog about my experiences. We live in Temecula, CA which is about 45 mins north of San Diego. Not only are we next to one of the greatest Micro brew cities in the world but we are in a great growing climate of a lot of beer ingredients. This includes certain hop varieties, herbs, fruit and vegetables. American Craft Breweries have really started to push the envelope on what ingredients they put into their beer. After studying the subject and home brewing myself, I thought I'd do the same thing and try and get the freshest, best tasting ingredients into my own home brew and share with everyone how I did it in my own Suburban backyard.

First thing to do if you want to start growing your own ingredients is read the book The Home brewers Garden by Joe and Dennis Fisher. It really gives you the basics on how to start your own hop garden, herb garden and even barley rows! Spring is coming up quick and now is the time to start planting your hop rhizomes so that you have a good crop come summer. I recommend your local home brew shop. If you don't have one then you can order at www.freshops.com. My goal with this blog is to post as many pictures that I can and show you the different techniques that I use in order to produce healthy crops and tasty brews. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment